Saturday summary

Greetings from the US, Lettori. It’s with a bittersweet heart that I write this entry. Leaving Rome (despite knowing I’ll return) was really difficult. The seminar group was, through it all, one of the most fun groups to tour with.
Here’s a basic outline of what I did the 5th, my final day in Rome. There will be three more posts to come, each required for the course – the final will be my ‘Envoi’ (my trip’s concluding words). This one is my last non-required entry until I get to Bologna in January. I’ll have to think of another title for this blog. But until then, here’s to the eternal city.

On Saturday, I woke up to take the optional trip to the catacombs of San Sebastiano, outside the city walls on the Via Appia. I’m really glad I chose to make the trip with the small group because the change of scenery was absolutely breathtaking. We walked along the Via Appia afterwards, on the same cobbles that Ancient Romans did. We saw the Circus of Maxentius and the tomb of Caecilia Metella. Upon our return, we had the rest of the day free to do whatever, so I grabbed a quick bite from our favorite sandwich place, Pansito. A group of classmates and I headed towards the Tiber to eat in the sun, then shop at the market tents sent up along the river.
That night, we went to a restaurant in Piazza Navona for a group dinner (which wasn’t anything special, so I won’t even include the name). Basically, the portions were way too tiny for the price they were asking. I would’ve preferred Remo’s pizza, where I know I will be full by the end of the meal. However, dinner aside, the night was filled with laughing and reminiscing. Everyone wanted to make sure they hugged every single other student, since some of our group was staying later in Italy to explore other cities on their own.
Following dinner, we bar hopped around Piazza Navona, Campo de’ Fiori and finally ending at Scholar’s Pub in Piazza Venezia. Our group had dwindled down to 4 and we celebrated until about 4am, when we realized that we had to be up and packing in 2 hours. After saying goodbye to new friends at the Pub, we raced to the bus, arrived back at St. John’s campus and proceeded to nap for a bit, recharging so we could tackle the morning.
Our bus picked us up at 7 for the airport, and as we all said good-bye once more, it actually hit me that I was leaving. Of course, I was jealous of those staying in Italy or going to other places in Europe, because I knew it would take a while to re-adjust to life in Connecticut.
So now that you’re all pretty much caught up, it’s time to get cracking on these required entries. Wish me luck…
Ci vediamo!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s